Friday, November 28, 2014

What I'm thankful for in 2014 Sports Related in 2014

To celebrate Thanksgiving, last year I published what I'm thankful for relating to sports and training.  So I decided to do that again this year because there are things that have changed within the past year.  So to take out the obvious, I'm thankful for family, friends, Riley, Thunder, good health, etc., this is strictly a sports related what I'm thankful for.  So don't get your panties all in a bunch when I don't mention what's going on in the real world.

Things I'm thankful for Product related:

- My Wahoo Kickr paired with TrainerRoad.  I got this last year as a Black Friday deal and my cycling has dramatically improved as a result. I am consistently training with power and trying to get stronger every time I jump on the bike.  Previously, I would just either ride my bike or spin bike and create a workout during the ride.  I can feel how much stronger I am getting and love those indoor rides.

- My Skora Fits. Yes, full disclosure, I am a Skora Ambassador, but the Fits were released this year and they are the most comfortable shoe I have ever run in.  They have made training runs so seamless and comfortable.

-Cherry Cola Energy Chews- If you haven't already tried these, Honey Stinger makes a great product.  I'm not a fan of any other chews, sportbeans, or anything I have to chew during a training ride/run, but these are great.  The taste and consistency make them a nice change of pace.  Plus the caffeine in them gives me a nice boost.  I typically use them during all my Tri's, and I had them this year for the marathon.

-Tight spandex shorts.  Yes, I love the spandex!  Who doesn't.  And anyone who says they don't is not a real runner or real triathlete.  We run and compete in spandex all season so it's better to embrace the stretchy than to fight it.  Don't put shorts over your tights.  Show off your goods, you earned them.

-Sunglasses. Like all types of sunglasses.  That's my crack.  I have over 6 pairs that I train in and with new Black Friday deals, I'm sure there will another addition to that group.  I may look like the Terminator when I wear them, but I need them on

-Waterproof MP3 player.  I hate the pool.  There is nothing I like about getting in the water and doing laps, so at least I have some type of distraction while I'm cranking out swim laps.

What I'm Thankful for non product related training issues:

-The nod you give/get from another runner going in the opposite direction.  This is just some validation that you're out there doing the right thing and you recognize a common brother out there on the roads.

-Summer training bras on female runners.  Yes, sexist, but there is nothing sexier than running past a girl who is running and she has rock hard abs that pop while she is on the road

-Public restrooms where you didn't know they existed.  Sometimes nature calls and you have no idea how you're going to make it home.  Finding a restroom is one of the ultimate treasures of running.

-Passing someone on a hill (even some bikers) and then hearing them say something about you.  I love hills and I push myself up them so the ultimate satisfaction is when I blow past someone riding up a hill and they look at me like I'm crazy.  It means I'm doing something right.

- The feeling after a long workout/run where you reward yourself with whatever food you want.  The reason they call it a reward is because you earned it.  Now enjoy it.

-Finally, the off-season.  Mine just started and I'm probably enjoying it a little too much, but it's only a short amount of time, so for this small time, I'm going to make the most of the rest, recovery, and weight gain


No comments:

Post a Comment