Here is a lighthearted post to all my swimming, biking, running friends for what I am thankful for this season:
- Temperature around 55 degrees when we want to go for a run and then about 75 when we want to go biking-Those perfect days really make working out a pleasure, so when they coincide with our training plans, it makes a world of a difference.
- Skin tight Tri Suits- Come on, we put all that hard work in, isn't it great that we get to wear something so tight that it shows off our curves. And by curves, I mean body and muscles to all those who didn't get that.
- Split-nosed saddle for our bikes- The "boys" are thankful as well. They appreciate the alleviated pressure in the nether regions during all those long training rides
- Compression calf sleeves- Helping to reduce all the muscle vibrations and soreness during both long runs/races and then the day after to help recovery so we can go right back at it again.
- Body Glide- chafing, blisters, bloody nipples are all not enjoyable.
- A swim course that is well marked with bouys and the ability to site away from the sun- It's hard enough doing open water swims. It's nice to be able to see where we want to go
- Warm water, but still wetsuit legal- We love our wetsuits and love racing in them, but we don't enjoy the water so freezing that we have to internally heat our suits ourselves.
- Lock Laces, Yankz, Boa Dials, Velcro straps, etc- It's so annoying to tie laces. Thank you to the companies that take away this huge hassle
- Caffeinated gels- That immediate "pick me up" is a nice welcome when our energy is fading
- Rimless Sunglasses- We can't wear them for anything that isn't triathlon related, but on the course, they are awesome and we don't mind what they look like.
- Aero wheels and helmets- Yes, we look stupid wearing them, but they sure make us go faster.
- A large and individual transition area- Specifically the ones Rev3 and HITS gives us. Fighting for a piece of small real estate and having to step on other people's crap doesn't make it fun during a race. Having our own area is a welcome addition.
- Cool race swag, nice finisher's medal, moisture wicking shirt- We train so hard for races and it's all over in a matter of a hours. Having something cool that we can remember the race, even if it's just a medal that we put in our drawers, makes it all worth it. Yes, we do race for medals.
- A significant other who let's us work out as much as we do- Notice I didn't say doesn't complain that we work out as much. That's a whole other thing that I hope to put on this list next year. But our better halves do allow us the ability to put the time in and log all those miles. Without them being as understanding as they are, we couldn't do what we do.
- Holidays such as Hannukah, Christmas, and our birthdays- All this gear is expensive. I don't think I have received a normal present in at least 4 years.
- The ability to eat as much as we want and not feel guilty, especially on days like Thanksgiving since we know we have a work out planned for that morning, that afternoon, and the next morning, and both Saturday and Sunday. We're putting in the time, let's enjoy the food.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I'm off to eat turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, pumpkin brownies, pumpkin walnut bread, gravy, corn bread, and some pizza. Yes pizza. I have it around 2pm to make sure my stomach is in full expansion so I can wolf down as much food later in the day as possible. After that, it's a 11 mile run the next morning and a 1-2 hour bike ride.