Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wow, the hours have changed

I have always been an early riser.  I used to wake up at the crack of dawn to start my day.  I hated sleeping late because I felt I was wasting the day.  Over the past few years, I would start my workouts between 7-8am so I could get them done and have the rest of the day to do whatever I wanted.  It was great.  The only problem was that my wife wouldnt like me getting up so early.  She didnt sleep in, but she definitely slept later than me.  She didnt have to wake up to workout so she would sleep about an hour later than me.

We are trying to keep Riley on a schedule throughout the day so he sleeps at night a little more.  But as every parent knows, no new born sleeps throughout the whole night.  My wife and I are still trying to figure out who does better on which night shift for Riley's feedings.  We've tried both out.  Ive done the 1 AM shift while she has done the 5AM shift, and I have done the 5AM shift while the wife has done the 1AM shift.  We arent sure who does better on which shift yet. 

I have volunteered for the 5-6AM shift more times with the thinking that if I feed Riley at 5AM, then walk the dog around 6AM, I can go out for a run around 6:30-7ish in the morning.  Good thinking right?  This way, I can sleep a little more throughout the night, but also stay on my schedule a little more.  The problem is that its sooo dark and cold at 6AM here in NY.  So while my thought process is good, when I wake up now to do everything its too dark and cold for me to go out for a workout.  So now Im stuck in the time where I cant fall back asleep, but I also cant do any workouts because of external factors.  Its like Im wasting time not being able to go for my workouts.  Now, my wife is fast asleep and I dont want to wake her up so I have no idea what to do, and by the time it gets lighter out, shes up and has to watch the baby even more time that she should.  We're supposed to be in this together, but fitting workouts in at odd hours is messing with normalcy.

I cant wait for the summer months when its nice and warm all day, but also gets light out early. 

So, how do all of you fit in those early workouts in when its too dark and cold that you know you dont want to be out there?

1 comment:

  1. Get out there in the dark! Takes some getting used to but you won't think anything of it after doing it for a bit. Good luck. Time change will come soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete