Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Father's Day wish list

My first Father's Day is coming up this week, and it's so weird to think that I'm actually a father.  Granted, I have been Thunder's father for 8 years, but this is something a little bit different.  As a side note, Thunder turns 8 this Thursday, so Happy Birthday to him.  I'm sure there will be some updates and pictures from his party to show later this week.

But back to Father's Day.  I am not great at getting gifts.  In fact, I genuinely hate receiving gifts.  The problem is that I expect too much, so I often get let down.  Or, I have no expectations and then I get something great but can't appreciate it.  So this leaves me too many times just buying my own gifts and either getting paid back for them or I just don't get anything.  I never know the right reaction to opening a gift so it makes me feel very awkward.  I also hate people spending money on me.  I don't know why, but it's something that I never like which is usually the reason I just go ahead and purchase what I want.  Its weird, but that's just me.

This year there are a few things that I do want.  I hardly doubt that I will actually get any of them, except for maybe one, but its nice to dream of certain gifts that would make my Father's Day really special.

So here goes:

1) To place or Age Place at the KIC Triathlon later this month.  I'd like to put the debacle of the Red Bank Tri behind me and do some great things at this race.  I didn't expect to place in this race going into the season, but it seems I may have an outside chance so it would be an awesome gift if I could have a great race here.  I want the race to go well, but to be able to place in a race I didn't think I had a chance would be special.  Especially since I got screwed in my last race.

2) Either an ISM Adamo Road Saddle or the Bontrager RXL Speed Dial saddle:
        I'm not sure which one I want.  The Adamo is the market leader and clearly the saddle that has a lot of followers.  However, I hear that there are sometimes issues with it being too wide and causing some rubbing so it might not be for everyone.  That's where the Bontrager Speed Dial comes in.  Bontrager did a nice thing here by putting a dial on the saddle so you can fully customize it to yourself. This might save either my heiny, or my "boys".  The Speed Dial has a little less cushioning than the Adamo so I have to factor that in as well.  As for price points, The Speed Dial is twice the price as the Adamo, so I would feel bad for someone to spend that kind of money on me.

Adamo Road Saddle
Bontrage Speed Dial Saddle



3) 6th Generation Ipod Nano
    My regular mp3 is at it's tail end of its life.  It doesn't hold a charge for too long so I'm in the market for a new mp3 player.  I have my waterproof shuffle, and I also have been fortunate to be on Team X-1 Audio for a lot of waterproof gear, but I like to keep my waterproof gear separate from my every day gear.
  I like the size of the 6th generation nano more than the 7th generation since it can clip right on to my shorts and I don't need an armband to hold on to it.  I think this is a huge advantage.  Plus, they started incorporating an FM tuner into the new ipod's and I listen to the radio more than my mp3's.  It just keeps things fresh.  So I'd like to replace my old mp3 player with a new 6th gen. ipod.

I like the size and screen.  Perfect for me.


4) Something from shutterfly.
    Every year, the wife gets me something that has pictures on it.  It is usually a present from Thunder, but she does a very good job.  In the past, I've received a mouse pad, a mug, a collage to name a few.  They are usually images of Thunder and I, so I would expect something of the same this year, possibly even adding a hint of Riley which would be nice.

5) Rudy Project Hypermask sunglasses
   I have to admit, I have a huge weakness for sunglasses.  I'm an addict when it comes to them.  I wear them for all my workouts and am always looking for newer ones.  So this year, I've been noticing the Rudy project Hypermask and think they really look awesome.  I've heard so many great things about them and now want to have them to try them out.  I can't decide which color though.  Yellow is my favorite color so I'm always leaning towards that, but the white/green combination looks really good too.  I do have a pair of green sunglasses so maybe the Blue/Yellow would work, but I can't decide. Maybe both.  They are expensive, but I can get them for about 40-50% off due to a few sponsorships, so maybe someone would have to pay me back if I decide to buy them and get them as a present.

Both colors are really cool and suit me perfectly.  Which one to choose?

Now, I think the only one out of these that I'll actually get is something from shutterfly.  The wife is really good about that, and the others are probably a little too expensive and no one knows what I want.  I won't be upset though.  Father's Day is not about getting presents. It's about being able to spend time with the family, and this year, I get to celebrate something for the first time.  But it still is nice to dream, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment