Monday, June 10, 2013

First time Riley's sick

Things have been a little slow out here with training and racing.  But this past week brought upon something that the wife and I knew would come but we never wanted it to.  The first time Riley got sick.  Of course, at first I just said it was a little nothing and he'll get over it in like an hour and not to worry.  Likewise, the wife thought it was the end of the world and we needed to rush him straight to the doctor.  I'm happy to say it was closer to my version than to the wife's.

Last week out of nowhere, the wife and I hear this deep, weezing cough coming from Riley's room.  It sounded like Riley has been smoking for 40 years and now his lungs are shot.  I didn't think anything of it.  I just thought he developed this little cough and like everyone else's cough, it'll go away.  Well, a few days later the cough was still there.  And in some cases, getting worse.  He started to wake himself up during his naps and at night and wouldn't fall back asleep.  We once had this cute little baby who slept for 10 hours straight without a peep, and now he's hocking up a lung and up all night.  Which in turn has kept us up all night.  So sleep has not been at a premium for about a week now.

After calling the doctor to see what we can do, she recommended some Vick's Vaporub for babies and a long steam shower.  So here we are.  Baby Riley and I essentially naked in our bathroom with the hot shower running and steam all over the place.  It was like Riley and I were in some Indian reservation sweat lodge together.  All he wanted to do was play and drool all over me, while I'm sweating like crazy and dying in the bathroom. 

Of course, as time went on and we spoke to our families, everyone had an opinion.  My wonderful (cough, cough) mother in law had all sorts of reasons to why Riley got sick and what we should do about it.  I didn't realize that my mother in law went to medical school in a matter of minutes and is now the baby whisperer.  And as always, she's right and we're wrong and we don't know how to raise our baby. 

Thankfully, there was no fever and Riley just has some type of virus or something that's causing him to cough and have yellow goop (yes, that is the clinical term) coming from his eyes and nose.  Either way, the doctor said he's fine and that he'll return to normal in a few days.

Let's hope for the wife and mine's sleep pattern that he feels better sooner rather than later.  We can't take another few days of waking up at 11:30 pm, 1am, 3 am, 5 am, 6 am, and then being up for the day.  We knew this day would come and there will be plenty more over the years, but for now, we're just happy it's something small

No comments:

Post a Comment